Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Inspiration is key


 A writer I know works with his 
faithful companion -- the dog.
I am always excited when I discover more intelligent proof
for the importance of happiness.  It helps me add to
my understanding of why I think happiness is so vital.
My latest source is a short TED talk by
Shawn Achor, founder of GoodThink Inc. called
The Happy Secret to Better Work.  Achor was a professor
at Harvard for 10 years.  His Happiness course was
one of the most popular courses on campus. It makes
perfect sense to me that as Achor says people assume
that achievement and success leads to happiness,
when in fact it's the other way around.  Like the title
of my blog, Smile First, it turns out that happiness
comes first.  Happy people are more productive.
Our brains work more efficiently when we're happy.
But one of the most exciting messages in his talk
was that 5 actions can change your level of
happiness in 21 days. 

Here are his recommendations
1. Being grateful for 3 things each day
2. Writing in a journal daily, about one beautiful
or positive experience in the day.
3. Exercising.
4. Meditation and
5. Doing random acts of kindness.

Since listening to the talk last week I've been following
his plan. Writing down three things I'm grateful for every day
makes me think about the good parts of my life. Most
of the time I could write a much longer gratitude list, but in hard
times those three things can turn a day around. The positive
journal idea, helps me hold on to what is meaningful and
memorable in my life. Exercising is a vital way to show
ourselves that we matter. It requires a certain daily discipline,
plus it's fun, so it boosts our happiness.  And being kind makes us feel
happy.  It all comes back to the core message that in order
to love others, we have to love ourselves first.  When the
day is done, if we can look back and see the good in the
day, and that we were kind, we know we are honouring the
best in ourselves, and that leads to happiness.

Watch this fabulous talk if you haven't already.
Achor is a wonderful speaker, and has definitely inspired me
to be happier.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Barbara, I love this blog! The 5 exercises are excellent, I do some but not all, and not on a daily basis. This is a great reminder for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Verna,

    I hope to blogging more regularly here soon. I lost my mother this year. Plus my dog died, plus a family member is ill. I am still happy, but it's a miracle, and I am just getting to the point that I can write about it again. Love your work.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your positive thoughts and comments.
Thanks for visiting this blog.